Today's questions: MAMMALS
1. Why are camels, dogs, whales, and humans all considered mammals?
2. Like all animals, mammals have certain adaptations that enable them to survive in their environment. For example, giraffes with long necks could reach food in high tree branches while short-necked giraffes could not. When the food on the ground was all gone, the short-necked giraffes died, but the long-necked giraffes survived for many generations. What are some human adaptations that help us live in our environment?
3. Most mammals give their young more protection and training than do other animals. Discuss how specific mammals take care of their offspring. What behaviors are unique to mammals?
4. Chimpanzees and humans are not only both mammals, they share many other characteristics. List some of the similarities between humans and chimpanzees. For example, we both use tools, and walk upright.
5. What characteristics distinguish humans from all other mammals? What unique traits make people “human”?